Monday, August 10, 2015

So Far So Good - Week 1.5


I know I technically said I was going to start the goals this week, but I went ahead and did a test run starting August 1.

So far things are going good!  The only one that is tricky is trying to feed Hadrian at the same time every morning because we've been dropping Paul off at work every morning this last week at different times.  But now that our morning schedule is going to be more regular, I think it will get easier.

For everything else:

- Making bed and taking calcium, super easy.

- I went ahead and applied for a GIS job at the Board of Assessors this last week.  I'm not gunning hard for it, but I figure it's always good to get my CV out there for people to see and consider in the future.

This week I'm prepping an email for a Dr. Alexander at the Skidaway Institute of Oceanography, who has done some GIS with marsh restoration in the past - right up my alley!  I need to get a hold of some of his articles first and think about the best format of email to send...  It's always tricky to just cold-message someone.  You always run the risk of just getting deleted unless you get it right.  I would call, but I feel like I can be a lot more direct (and less nervous!) if I can write something out and send my CV.

Other options are the Gray's Reef National Marine Sanctuary, the SAGIS office (though it's very small), and Thomas & Hutton (an engineering, surveying, GIS, and city planning firm. Which would be excellent since that's exactly like COWI).  I figure these are all good places to begin.

- For volunteering, if I can't get into the research at Skidaway or Gray's Reef, then I'd like to try and help out with the annual GIS Day that SAGIS hosts in November for school kids.  The trick right now, though, is figuring out how to either bring Hade along with me or find some kind of childcare?  That's tricky as a new arrival with a limited budget.

- Hade and I went to the library's storytime for 0-2 year olds last week that pretty much blew his mind.  He'd never seen so many kids his age in one room before.  All jumping up and down and singing songs.  His eyes were huge the whole time.  Today we did our second week of this goal and got a free lesson of Kindermusik.  It was a thirty minute drive west and each class is $16, so I don't think we'll make it a habit, but he loved it too.  Especially the baby laser/light relaxation time show at the end.  I've never seen him so motivated to scoot across a room as when he was trying to catch that blue light moving across the floor.

Next week I'd like to find some kind of swimming class, but it's been a little tricky to get something that doesn't require you to have signed up back in March.  We'll figure it out.  Another option is something called the Mazel Tots at the Jewish Community Center which, I mean, how amazing is that?!    And, in the meantime, there's always Library Mind-Blowing Storytime.

- And for our explorations, we're off to a great start after going to see Skidaway's Aquarium and nature trails last week.  We really need to get out to the beaches at Tybee one of these weeks.  And I'd like to visit the Pin Point and Wormsloe Historic Sites or maybe one of the Civil War forts.  There are just a lot of options, which is great!

- Haven't really touched on the Python course search yet, but I hope to poke around and start to lock that down sometime in the next week or so.

So hooray!  What a boring post!  Yay!  The takeaway here I guess is, yep, things are just going good.  And I think the goals I chose were just right for what I need to be doing right now.

In other news: today is Paul's first day at Armstrong.  Hadrian and I took celebratory cookies to his office to share and I hope he get sufficiently orientated (as they say in England) today.  The man is excited.  It makes me happy to see.

No comments :

Post a Comment