Right, so.
I came up with this blog idea when I was halfway through maternity leave and traveling for six weeks through the Alps and England. So...you know....busy but not like busy.
And then I had six more months of maternity leave. So...you know...busy but not like busy. One kid and all.
And now life is a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit like
So, I'm trying to be realistic here.
In the few moments I let myself think about my goal/theme this month (instead of tracking down our painter, getting someone to fix our closet doors, work, transitioning Hade to a different daycare, wondering where our $1800 of Ikea furniture is in the state of Georgia, trying to update and fix up our house bit-by-bit, forgetting to call the car mechanic because of weird noise issues,.............), I realize that it was maybe a bit unrealistic to think that establishing a routine would happen in the first month we moved to a new house/started a job/started daycare/tried to buy any furniture.
We're pretty much all flying by the seat of our pants all the time right now. Most of our boxes we moved in early December are still scattered, unpacked in random closets around the house. The only surfaces we have are our kitchen counters so it always looks like a disaster zone. It's like we're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in a canyon and making some progress to get out....but, you know, it's a long way to go.
Silver linings: This week the deputy chief popped by and was like, "Hey. Why are you clocking in and out every day?" And I was like, "Uhhhh...because you told me to?" And she was like, "Oh, no. Since you're a supervisor, you don't have to do that." So that is nice. Sure I'm still expected to be there the full 8-5, but at least I don't have to feel like I'm 18 years old or working hourly in a coal mine with my punch card situation. So yay. It was a relief. I guess a relief to feel a little more trusted? I still think it's no bueno that everyone else has to do it though. Unless you're paid by the hour (and even then....I'm on the fence), it's silliness.
Second thing is that my Dad may be able to swing through this weekend. Which is awesome. I hope the snow doesn't keep him trapped in Tennessee. We were supposed to have our guest room all set up last weekend, but the Ikea bed and mattresses we ordered to be delivered "sometime around the 19th" still haven't come so..................they better come. It will be nice to see him.
Third thing (though a bit mixed), there is an opening for Hade in another daycare. All things being considered I don't think it's much better than the one he is in now. However, it gives the option to choose a half-time schedule/fee whereas the one we're at now you just have to pay full-time no matter what. This is preferable because Paul will be off teaching for two months in the summer and wanted to take half weeks to stay home with Hade and this way we would only have to pay for the care we would use. And then hopefully he'll be accepted into the Jewish Community Center daycare for the Fall.
As a side note: I'd very seriously contemplate converting to Judaism if it gave us a better chance of getting Hade in there for the Fall. Whatever you want, Jewish Daycare! Whatever you want!
I came up with this blog idea when I was halfway through maternity leave and traveling for six weeks through the Alps and England. So...you know....busy but not like busy.
And then I had six more months of maternity leave. So...you know...busy but not like busy. One kid and all.
And now life is a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit like
So, I'm trying to be realistic here.
In the few moments I let myself think about my goal/theme this month (instead of tracking down our painter, getting someone to fix our closet doors, work, transitioning Hade to a different daycare, wondering where our $1800 of Ikea furniture is in the state of Georgia, trying to update and fix up our house bit-by-bit, forgetting to call the car mechanic because of weird noise issues,.............), I realize that it was maybe a bit unrealistic to think that establishing a routine would happen in the first month we moved to a new house/started a job/started daycare/tried to buy any furniture.
We're pretty much all flying by the seat of our pants all the time right now. Most of our boxes we moved in early December are still scattered, unpacked in random closets around the house. The only surfaces we have are our kitchen counters so it always looks like a disaster zone. It's like we're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in a canyon and making some progress to get out....but, you know, it's a long way to go.
Silver linings: This week the deputy chief popped by and was like, "Hey. Why are you clocking in and out every day?" And I was like, "Uhhhh...because you told me to?" And she was like, "Oh, no. Since you're a supervisor, you don't have to do that." So that is nice. Sure I'm still expected to be there the full 8-5, but at least I don't have to feel like I'm 18 years old or working hourly in a coal mine with my punch card situation. So yay. It was a relief. I guess a relief to feel a little more trusted? I still think it's no bueno that everyone else has to do it though. Unless you're paid by the hour (and even then....I'm on the fence), it's silliness.
Second thing is that my Dad may be able to swing through this weekend. Which is awesome. I hope the snow doesn't keep him trapped in Tennessee. We were supposed to have our guest room all set up last weekend, but the Ikea bed and mattresses we ordered to be delivered "sometime around the 19th" still haven't come so..................they better come. It will be nice to see him.
Third thing (though a bit mixed), there is an opening for Hade in another daycare. All things being considered I don't think it's much better than the one he is in now. However, it gives the option to choose a half-time schedule/fee whereas the one we're at now you just have to pay full-time no matter what. This is preferable because Paul will be off teaching for two months in the summer and wanted to take half weeks to stay home with Hade and this way we would only have to pay for the care we would use. And then hopefully he'll be accepted into the Jewish Community Center daycare for the Fall.
As a side note: I'd very seriously contemplate converting to Judaism if it gave us a better chance of getting Hade in there for the Fall. Whatever you want, Jewish Daycare! Whatever you want!

No comments :
Post a Comment