The weekends are when we've been doing the weekly Savannah explorations and this last weekend we'd decided to go see either the Wormsloe Historic Site or Bonaventure Cemetery.
But on Friday night, both Hadrian and I had come down with a cold so all we could muster on Saturday was an early morning walk, a trip into town to take a little class on home electrical work (basic stuff like replacing a light switch or putting up a ceiling fan), and a five minute run to the mall to get Paul a couple more dress shirts for teaching.
By that point it was 1pm, super hot and humid, and I was about dead. I half-heartedly said that we could still go to Bonaventure very early Sunday morning, but that I really just needed food and sleep right then.
And then I remembered! There was a place we could still explore in Savannah that was food. Currently tripadvisor's #1 place to eat in the city: Sandfly BBQ.
Now I know that BBQ is supposed to be a thing in the South, so I figured that if we ate at Sandfly then that would be pretty authentico. Trouble was, I couldn't remember its address, we don't own smartphones, and our GPS didn't have it in its database. But, being the map nerd I am, I did remember that it was in an old rail car turned diner southwest of the famous Forsythe Park. We very methodically drove up and down a few streets there until we stumbled right on it, went right in and ordered a "Hog Wild Platter" to share (and to go, since Hadrian was needing a nap even more than I was).
And I'll tell you what, that BBQ is not messing around. Three different sauces, all kinds of meat, the cole slaw (The COLE SLAW!) and baked beans....wow. It was great. And a great way to continue our Savannah exploration goal even when we were down and out.
Highly recommend it! We had leftovers to work on for two days (with a whopping total of $24). And maybe next weekend we'll make it out to Wormsloe or Bonaventure...and drop back through Sandfly BBQ on the way home.
This week marks the last week of "Starting Right" - it's been a great beginning. Overall month-long thoughts to come.
No comments :
Post a Comment